Patricia Nail Lacquer

Friday, March 30, 2012

Commercial Shoot with Joan Rivers

Hello Everyone,

I had a really interesting week and I can't wait to tell you all about it! It all started with a phone call late on Monday night (9:00 pm is pretty late to get a phone call about a job when it is booked for the next morning). Besides, when the gentleman on the phone told me the name of the girl who recommended me, I had no idea who he was referring t0! I almost did not take the job, but after a few back and forth text messages and phone calls, I found out the job was to do Joan River's nails for an energy drink commercial. I immediatley found a replacement for my job with the state, and made it my business to be there. After all, these opportunities don't come around everyday. When I got to the set, I found out the commercial shoot was rapper 50 Cent's new energy drink, and the fitness commercial guy that "lifts things up and puts them down" was there too!

I was first directed to Joan's trailer to do her nails. As soon as I walked in, I was being rushed and asked how long it would take to "change" her polish. After assessing the job at hand, I saw that Joan had on a bad acrylic nail job which was grown out showing about 5-6 weeks of re-growth. The bottom line is her nails needed serious help and I was informed that I only had 10-15 minutes to do my magic. Even though I was told it was a regular manicure, thank God something told me to bring my Gelish polishes with me. I was able to quickly buff her acrylic down before I threw on a coat of Gelish Foundation Gel as a base to fill in the re-growth. From there, I applied the polish (OPI Big Apple Red) directly on top finishing with my favorite top coat, Dashing Diva's Top Seal. I finished her nails in just under 20 minutes. Just goes to show you, you have to be prepared for anything and everything! When I was finished, Joan was kind enough to ask me to take a picture together and for my twitter name. By the time I walked out of her trailer and upstairs to perform a manicure on her hand double, she had already posted our picture to her twitter account.

Once upstairs, the first person I ran into was the "fitness guy" standing beside the hand double and wearing no pants if I might add. He was super cool and I joked all day with him saying "hey, there is that guy with no pants on!" he laughed every time. From there, I took the hand double (for Joan) to the side to begin her manicure and now I discovered the connection on how I was referred! As soon as I sat her down to begin her manicure, Jill (the hand double) informed me that she was the one who recommended me for the job. Jill was also the make up artist for the "fitness guy" and a few of the extras on the shoot. After speaking for a few minutes, I found out that she occassionally works on the set of the Rachael Ray show, and was a good friend of Carri who I have known as Rachael Ray's hairdresser for several years now. It just goes to show you the importance of being professional and respectful to everyone in this industry. You never know who knows who or who has the ability to open doors for you.

I feel so blessed to have had this opportunity. Everyone was so warm and welcoming to me, especially Joan as this has made me realize that beyond being funny, she is a very thoughtful and kind woman.

Next week, I am off to the Middle East for my friend Haya's wedding who is royality in Saudi Arabia. I can't wait to do her nails! I just picked up a beautiful blush gown for the occassion. Any ideas for what I should put on my nails?! Let me know!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Patricia is one of the leading nail professionals in the U.S. She has over 28 years of international experience, which include educating, salon consulting and openings, nail services, as well as fashion and press related events. Her celebrity client list includes, Rachael Ray, Allison Williams, Chrisette Michelle, Donnie McKlurkin, Giada De Laurentiis, Kim Kardashian, Kate Winslet, Katy Perry, Pink, and many others. Her work and views have appeared on several television shows and stations nationwide. She currently works as a freelance nail artist and consults for the Dashing Diva Professional line where she is lead educator and assists in product development.